Why have breakfast?
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day!
- Breakfast breaks your overnight fast.
- Breakfast refuels your glycogen (energy) stores.
- Breakfast kick starts the metabolism.
Breakfast provides us with the energy to keep us going throughout the day.
Benefits of regular breakfast
- Improves your energy levels.
- Improves metabolism.
- Provides many beneficial nutrients, and boosts your fibre and calcium intake (compared to no breakfast).
- Reduces you chance of over-consuming high kilojoule foods later in the day.
- Stabilises your blood sugar levels.
Improves memory and concentration.
Creating a breakfast routine
- Set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier to fit in breakfast at home.
- Take public transport? Take a portable breakfast option to eat on the way to work.
- Make some ’ easy to grab’ breakfasts on the weekend, such as savoury muffins or zucchini slice.
If it’s allowed, keep some breakfast options at work to enjoy once you arrive.
Healthy breakfast options
- Wholegrain toast with a thin scrape of peanut butter, or avocado and spinach or reduced fat ricotta.
- Porridge with fresh fruit.
- Fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Wholegrain cereals with reduced fat milk.
- Wholemeal fruit toast with thin scrap of cream cheese.
- Fruit or vegetable smoothies.
- Boiled eggs with wholegrain toast.
Join our mailing list for the latest news, events and resources from Nutrition Australia.
Inspire healthy eating with books, posters, webinars and more!
Browse the range.
Make a donation
Will you donate to support healthy eating education?