Stephanie Alexander "Kitchen Garden Cooking with Kids"
|Prep time||20 minutes|
An old-fashioned recipe, with a delicious combination of flavours
|1||Tablespoon||extra virgin olive oil|
|1⁄4||Cup||reduced fat sour cream|
The cookbook this recipe is sourced from is a Nutrition Australia recommended text.
- Rinse the celery stalks and radishes and pat dry with a tea towel.
- Carve the skin from each of orange. Holding an orange in one hand, over a large bowl to catch the juice, slip the knife down one side of a single segment and then down the other side of the segment, cutting the flesh away from the membrane. Drop the segment into the bowl and repeat until all segments are in the bowl and this is done for all the oranges.
- Squeeze the orange 'skeletons' (what is left in your hand after all the segments have been removed) so that the juice falls over the orange segments.
- Cut the apples into quarters, remove the cores and seeds from the apple. Chop the quarters into small pieces and add to the bowl with the oranges.
- Slice the celery sticks crossways into 5mm slices and add to the fruit. Slice the radishes thinly and add to the bowl.
- Place the frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and walnuts and stir with the wooden spoon until walnuts are lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- Add the sour cream to the salad ingredients and stir to mix. Add the toasted walnuts, then transfer the salad to the serving bowls.
Subscribe to our mailing list for the latest news, events and resources from Nutrition Australia.
Menu planning for food allergies and intolerances in childcare (workshop)
28 April, 28 May, 16 June, 30 June, Hindmarsh SA
Healthy eating and menu planning in long day care (workshop)
28 April and 16 June, Hindmarsh SA
Unpacking the Health Star Rating (webinar)
4 May, online
Healthy eating and menu planning in OSHC (workshop)
26 May and 30 June, Hindmarsh SA
Allergies and your children (workshop)
28 May, Melbourne VIC
Durable and colourful visual guides to serving balanced meals. Great for teaching others or to use at home. From $9.95
Recipe of the month
Healthy eating at work
Find out more about healthy cooking demonstrations, seminars, and menu assessments for your workplace.