ACT healthy living schools program
Based on the Health Promoting Schools framework, Nutrition Australia ACT Division’s school programs focuses on:
- The curriculum
- The school environment
- Families and the wider school community.
Teaching nutrition in the classroom
Become equipped with the tools and confidence to teach nutrition within the ACT School Curriculum Framework. An Accredited Practising Dietitian from Nutrition Australia ACT Division will deliver an interactive 60 minute professional development session at your school.
Choose from the following seminar topics:
- Making smart choices from every food group – includes environmental, social and emotional influences on food choices, and puts the spotlight on some common food myths.
- Implementing food activities for children – become inspired and learn fun food activities that your students will love! This seminar also addresses food safety and hygiene requirements.
- The vegie garden and beyond – learn about the benefits of school vegie gardens, how to get the students involved, and how to plan and prepare dishes using the produce.
All participants receive relevant nutrition resources for school and home.
School community and parent nutrition seminars
Why not involve the wider school community in nutrition education? Your next P&C meeting or parents night is the perfect location for a one hour seminar delivered by Accredited Practising Dietitian from Nutrition Australia ACT Division. Popular topics include:
- Fabulous food for kids – empower children to make healthy food choices.
- Lifting the lid on lunch – healthy lunches can be exciting too!
- The hungry teenager – learn about teenage eating patterns and how to handle body image.
- Breakfast boosters – learn about on-the-go breakfast options, and why it is one of the most important meals of the day.
Nutrition Australia’s nutritionists will deliver a one hour cooking demonstration at your school, providing ideas for healthy meals and snacks. Taste testing will be provided for up to 30 participants. Resources, including posters, recipe sheets and fact sheets on relevant nutrition and health issues will be provided to participants.
The facilities available for preparation, cooking and taste-testing must be confirmed before a booking can be finalised.
Nutrition Australia ACT Division will supply all equipment required for the cooking demonstration and taste testing.
Student cooking workshops
These workshops give students the opportunity to develop skills in food preparation, recipe selection, meal planning and food budgeting, all under the supervision of a nutritionist from Nutrition Australia. Session content and recipes are tailored to specific age groups and skill levels.
For further information regarding the ACT healthy living schools program, contact Nutrition Australia ACT Division on 02 6162 2583 or email email@example.com.
Join our mailing list for the latest news, events and resources from Nutrition Australia.
Inspire healthy eating with books, posters, webinars and more!
Browse the range.